The symbol is also related to Pythagoras, the 5th century BCE Greek mathematical philosopher and Hermetic mystic. Famous for his right-angled triangle theorem (a2+b2=c2), Pythagoras was also a fan of the sacred number 153. The number has all kinds of nutty properties, too many to be enumerated here, but one is that it’s a narcissistic number-that is, there are three digits; take each digit and since there are three overall, cube each digit (if there were two digits, square them, etc.); then add up the results of those cubes, and you get 153. So 1^3+5^3+3^3=153. That number is important to the vesica piscis.
Pythagoras taught that everything had a center, and a circle could be drawn around any center point. A single circle with a center was the monad, symbolic of the singularity, god, the number that gives rise to all other numbers. To get from a singularity to many (creation), the monad needed to be reflected-mirrored. When the monad is mirrored, it yields two circles sharing each other’s centers, a figure called a dyad. The monad and its twin represent polarities, so if the monad is spirit, its twin is matter. The almond-shaped center of the intersection is a kind of passage through which spirit and matter are unified. This is where the Jesus fish comes in. If you take just the outline of that almond-shaped intersection and a little of the bottom of the respective circles (up to where the center point would cut off the line), you get the famous fish shape.
The width-to-height ratio of the fish symbol is 265:153, and there’s the sacred number again. Take that ratio, 265 divided by 153, and you get a very near approximation of the square root of three, which Archimedes would use in developing his calculation of π. That becomes more important when we see Ms. Hawking’s pendulum.” —
J. Wood’s Lost posts on the Powell’s blog might actually be better than the show itself.
Vulcan Point is the world’s largest volcanic island within a lake on an island within a lake on an island.
- Franky: AT LEAST WE DID GET CLOSURE ON THE FISH BISCUIT STORYLINE!
- Matt: true
- Matt: what else did you want, franky?!
- Matt: all of your questions have been answered, you just need to send in boxtops to some website and spend 14 hours playing a shitty RPG and then decode some files and reassemble the videos!!!!
- Matt: haven't you ever watched TV before?
- Matt: that's how it works
- Franky: Yeah.... remember when we watched the godfather, and had to go to the website on the fake newspaper that Luca Brasi's fish was wrapped in to find out that the Don was ACTUALLY MICHAELS FATHER